Tuesday, March 10, 2009
After a day of exploring the many public stairs of Queen Anne (for a map contact the Queen Anne Historical Society Click Here), I found myself in a bar atop Queen Anne, drinking fruit juice, and watching the final game in the Pac 10 Basketball Conference. Though not much of a sports fan myself, the significant other is as well as my son, and it was fun to join in the fervor as Husky and Cougar fans rooted for their team. Congratulations to the University of Washington's Men's Basketball Team, who are now the Pac-10 Champions. In all of this current doom and gloom, it is fun to witness the joy of this victory, especially in light of the less than stellar performances of Seattle's other major teams, the Mariners and Seahawks. We won't even go into losing the Seattle Sonics. To make it all the sweeter, the Huskies men's basketball team has not won a Pac-10 Conference championship title outright since 1953 (they tied in 1984 and 1985). It's times like these that make you want to root for someone or something and see a positive outcome, to feel pride when your team wins. That's what it's all about, I guess.
What is it about sports that makes so many people feel so strongly?
Let's have some fun.
How much do you know about your local champions?
Here's a fun facts quiz (answers at the bottom but don't cheat!)
1. What was the name of the team before Huskies was chosen in 1922?
2. What is the name of the Huskies fight song?
3. Despite claims by others, the Wave was originated at UW by what television co-host?
4. What is the name of the costumed mascot?
5. What other Division 1 colleges use the name Huskies?
6. Name two famous Husky alums who went on to play professional ball.
For more information on the UW Huskies Men's Basketball Click Here and to further your enjoyment of March Madness, why not check out some materials on the subject at the library
Here are the answers to the quiz:
1. Sun Dodgers. A reference to the local weather quickly dropped in favor of something more positive.
2. "Bow Down to Washington." For lyrics Click Here
3. Rob Weller. For more information Click Here
4. "Harry the Husky"
5. Connecticut and Northern Illinois
6. Warren Moon and Nate Robinson. For other famous UW alums Click Here
How did you do? Enjoy March Madness and Go Huskies!